- Earth Science Teachers’ Association – the aim of the association is to encourage and support the teaching of Earth Sciences whether as a single subject such as geology or as
part of science or geography courses. ESTA also sells reference sets of rock samples for teaching.
Websites for children
Clubs and Societies
- Rockwatch – a UK-wide club for school children
- Earth Lab Datasite – the Natural History Museum’s educational resource allowing amateur geologists and students to investigate UK geology on-line.
- Mineralogy Database – David Barthelmy’s database contains more than 5,000 web pages of mineral data. There are 4,205 individual mineral species descriptions with links.
- Glossary of rock, mineral and gemstone terms – Hershel Friedman’s comprehensive on-line glossary with hundreds of mineral terms, definitions and explanations.
- Etymology of mineral and rock names – Christof Kuhn’s listing of the derivation of rock and mineral names, in English and German.
- Mindat.org – probably the largest mineralogical reference on the internet.
- Open Access publications from the Mineralogical Society of America
How to Teach Mineralogy
Guide to Thin-Section Microscopy
- Mining Terms Explained A to Z (courtesy of AngloAmerican)